This dress was originally a king size bedsheet from the 70s, believe it or not. I found it at a local thrift store for $3, which a good price, considering what I would have paid for that much yardage in broadcloth at a fabric store, when it’s $3.99 for one yard!
I designed this dress myself. I used an existing dress I have for the cutout guideline, I essentially just traced the shape onto vellum paper and then transferred that onto the pattern I drew for the bodice. The bodice front consists of three fully lined pieces sewn together. The back consists of four. The top back closes with a button and then I covered that with a large bow. The front bodice actually didn’t fit me the way I had originally planned (I don’t have a dress form, sadly) so I ended up making pleats in the front, which added a neat structured element to the overall design.