Here's a quick and easy tutorial to show you one of many ways to refashion an old outdated tee. And the best part? It takes less than 20 minutes to make!
Oversized Tee (make sure it is at least a size too big otherwise it will be too snug)
Sewing machine or needle and thread
1) Cut off both sleeves
2) Take a pencil and draw a straight line across the top of the shirt ending right below the neck hole.
3) Cut along the line, cutting through both layers of fabric.
4) Draw a line with a pencil starting at the armpit all the way across to the other side.
5) Cut along the line
6) Separate the smaller section you cut off from the larger section. Separate the two layers from the smaller section. Set aside the bottom layer, to be used later.
7) Draw a line 1/2 inch from the top of your bodice front straight down the middle and 1/2 inch from the bottom.
8) Using a gathering stitch, sew along the line, leaving the thread ends long for gathering.
10) Sew using a regular stitch over the portion you just gathered. this will hold it in place.
11) Take the portion you just gathered, along with the other portion you set aside earlier and pin the pieces right side together.
12) Sew both sides. Your end product will look like a bandeau top. Turn right side out.
13) Using the larger section of the shirt that you set aside earlier, cut off the hem starting from the side seam, traveling all around the edge. This will create your straps. Once you have one long piece, cut that in half. Measure how long you want your straps to be, and cut each accordingly.
14) Take your bandeau portion, along with the larger section, and pin the bottom of the bandeau to the top of the larger portion RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER.
15) Sew along the edges you pinned together, making sure to stretch out the fabric as you sew.
16) Turn right side out. Your shirt should now resemble a tube top like the one pictured. This is the best time to try it on for size.
17) Fold down and pin the top of the shirt's edges. Sew.
18) Decide where you want your straps to be. Pin and sew.
And now you have an amazing new summer top!